This Web site aims to provide news about area events and updates on research and advancements in the south centra Indiana breast cancer medical community. Check out the mission statement or read about the origins of BC:FYI.
Mark your calendars for these fall fundraisers
Lots going on during October, Breast Cancer Awareness Month. More details for each of these on the Events page, but jot these down now.
- Making Strides Against Breast Cancer is Oct. 13 at Karst Farm Park. This is the American Cancer Society's walk devoted to breast cancer. Get all the details for the Monroe County event at the website.
- Stars of Pink fashion show, Pink Ribbon Connection's main fundraiser, is Oct. 13 at 10:30 a.m. at the Indianapolis Marriott Downtown and includes lunch and the show, which features survivors as models. Log onto the website to make reservations or learn more.
- Bloomington's Breast Cancer Awareness Walk is Oct. 20 and starts at Showers Plaza. All details will be coming soon, according to the website.
Step Ahead meets Oct. 9
Step Ahead, the group for women who have completed breast cancer treatment and are looking to stay healthy, will gather informally at 6 p.m. Oct. 9 at the Scholars Inn Bakehouse East. The group now meets the second Tuesday of each month February through November.
Olcott sets cancer education sessions
The Olcott Center for Cancer Education sponsors a meeting at 6:30 p.m. on the third Tuesday of every month to address a topic related to cancer treatment and recovery. The topic Oct. 16 is advanced directives. Check out the upcoming topics on the Events page.
Survivors' reception Oct. 7
The annual Wanda Starr Memorial Survivors' Reception is at 1 p.m. Oct. 7 at the First Church of God in Bedford. The reception is free to Lawrence County cancer survivors and one guest, and is sponsored by the Lawrence County Cancer Patient Services. More details on the Events page.
Free treatments to breast cancer patients
Dermal Spa in Bloomington is offering free facials, hand and foot treatments for women who are going through cancer treatment. Call 8132-327-2014 to make an appointment.
Get a facial, benefit Making Strides
Adara Day Spa in Carmel will donate the proceeds for all services rendered Oct. 12 and 13 to Making Strides Against Breast Cancer, the American Cancer Society fundraiser. Hours are 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Friday and 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday. Book appointments at 317-816-9090 or check out the website for details.
Newly diagnosed? Read Step Ahead's Top 10 List
Listening to your body. Choosing your medical team wisely. Asking lots of questions. This and other tips are included in the "Top 10 List for Newbies," a checklist compiled by survivors in the support group Step Ahead. It's a must-see for newly diagnosed breast cancer patients and their caregivers. Check it out at this page.
Diagnosed under 40? Researchers need you
Researchers at the Washington University in St. Louis School of Medicine are looking for women diagosed with breast cancer at age 40 or younger to help with a study that may identify genetic factors that distinguish breast cancer in young women.
You do not have to live in St. Louis to participate and there's no charge for any of the testing or services. All the details are on this flyer.
Learn about survivors' 'Emotional Journey'
If you are a patient, survivor or caregiver, you probably have witnessed the range of emotions breast cancer patients display over the course of treatment and into survivorship. Indiana University researchers, led by Susan Woods, have released a study about just this topic, "The Emotional Journey of Long-Term Breast Cancer Survivors Five Years and Beyond," and Breast Cancer: FYI is proud to host the entire study on this website.
Coming soon to your inbox
Interested in getting your Breast Cancer: FYI news in your email inbox? Subscribe to a periodic newsletter with info and links to news affecting the breast cancer community. And don't forget to follow BC:FYI on Twitter, @breastcancerfyi, and Facebook, Breast Cancer: FYI.
Join BC:FYI on Facebook, Twitter
At your service:
- E-mail me at Webmaster@BreastCancerFYI.org if you need additional information about a topic, or would like to see articles posted about a topic not covered. Also, please report dead links, changes in times and locations for local meetings, or other corrections.
- Why Breast Cancer:FYI? My Story
- Breast Cancer:FYI Mission Statement
- Honors and Awards for Breast Cancer:FYI
- Who is the Web master?